7 years ago
Friday, November 21, 2008
More on the music
I got a lot of advise but I am still undecided, so I am posting again. Please read the comments on the last post and see if your views have changed or are still the same. Here is a follow up from me ... The radio edits the swear words but that is about it. The school plays everything (radio edit) I know you can't protect the youth. That is really not my intent. We don't police them. I have had to tell my chaparones not tell me if they are smoking or drinking unless it comes in the building or they are being destructinve to the grounds. (Insidently, we have never had drinking. I did have a chaparone come and get me becasue she was sure some boys had been smoking. She was positive because they all came in chewing gum and you know what that means!.... I thought it meant they didn't want to have bad breath for the girls, but hey what do I know) I also tell them that it isn't church and we don't do the book of mormon apart thing. I don't care if they are close. Now vulgar dancing is another thing. (I also had to describe that to a chaperon....I think she was quite embarrassed) but we have never had a problem with that either. You would be totally surprised about how they dance. It is awesome to watch. But back to the subject. At this age they need to decide for themselves where they stand. They can have, hear, or do anything they want to. I just don't want to have problems with parents. That being said, who chooses what is right? Can one make the choice for all? For instance, at our last dance we used a strobe light. Everyone loved it. But one girl came up and said that her friend could have seizures so we had to turn it off. So does everyone miss out because she might have a seizure or should she have to leave? See the connection. That is why I am so undecided about this. More help please. By the way monica we have all the songs as well. Along with some others I would really be embarrassed to tell you. You know things weren't so different when we were that age. Remember Pour Some Sugar on Me, Big Love (we all know what the ooh ahh means), Excitable etc. etc. Help!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I think sticking with the same standards as school/daytime radio is probably appropriate for a non-church community dance. That seems to be a reasonable community standard to go by. That being said, if there is a particular song that seems to make a majority of the adults involved feel icky, I think it's OK to ax it! Do any kids ever make complaints about the music? I remember at the church youth dances in AZ, they used to play "Red Red Wine" all the time. I think someone complained after they played it several different times. It never made me want to drink wine, though--I just thought it was a good song. :)
My opinion hasn't changed. Completely explicit, disgusting songs should not be played, but relax on the rest. Like you said before, they are the age that they can decide and need to decide for themselves....
I agree with Muggy. If it is on the schools playlist, why not yours? You are stressing WAY to much over this. Just let the music move you.....
my opinion stands. I think that you should use a school/radio approval list. that way if parents question it is not Nikki's list. Also, the strobe light is in a whole different catagory. YES you should turn it off. There is a big difference from a music play list and someones life. If you take away the stobe light kids will still have fun to the music. I don't think that girl should be excluded it is not her fault she has seizures.
I have to say I agree with everyone else. You really can't police the kids and as long as the lyrics and dancing aren't vulgar, it should be fine. Better they have a place to go and have fun to edited stuff than what they may find to do on their own. Good luck!
I agree with the radio/ school play list too. The dances have been so successful so far that you want to keep the kids coming. If a parent should complain you could show them the play list from the school and the radio and remind them that there is a lot worse out there. If the kids stop coming to the dances who know what they may do instead if left to their own devices. Good luck.
Nikki, when I saw this article I thought of you!
Soulja Boy apologizes for his potty mouth
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705271279,00.html
Post a Comment